Democracy is the most successful political idea in the world.
Democracy allows ordinary people a decisive say in who governs a country and how they govern it. It is based on a system of government by all the citizens of a country, typically exercised through elected representatives.
The concept of democracy is broad and diverse. Every country has a unique democratic system, and countries will therefore be ‘differently democratic’.
Democracy has many features: What then are the key features of democracy?
Although there are other aspects to democracy, we look at six key features. When these six main features are present it indicates a strong democracy.
1) Respect for basic human rights,
2) A multi-party political system paired with political tolerance,
3) A democratic voting system,
4) Respect for the rule of law,
5) Democratic governance, and
6) Citizen participation.